[geeks] Powerline Phone

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sat Jul 20 20:39:46 CDT 2013

On Sat, 21 Jul 2013, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> " From: "Cory Smelosky" <b4 at gewt.net>
> "
> "
> " I'd use the existing lines here but
> " rooms are wired together that really shouldn't be and I'm not a qualified and
> " trained telecoms professional so I don't quite know my way around the box
> " outside (which might be the telco's property anyway...)
> " _______________________________________________
>
> it is.  if it leads to a jack and plug in your bsmt, that's the demarc
> - the jack is theirs; the plug, and all the house wiring, is yours.
> if your wiring is too old for this, reckoning the demarc is more
> difficult, but it might be where the wire enters your house.

The demarc is mounted on the side of the house behind.  There are 2
demarcs...and I really have no idea which one is in use.

The problem is that two rooms seem to be wired together which creates
issues isolating the one.

> phone wiring isn't rocket science - but i say that as someone who
> a) worked for bell labs
> b) started my career as a hardware jock
>
> you can probably find a diy book in your local library.

The wiring at the demarc isn't what worries me (it's not locked...I've
seen inside it before).  It's the two rooms being wired together that
worries me. ;)

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff
http://gimme-sympathy.org Projects