[geeks] Ongoing: fun with 3d printing

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 11:50:49 CDT 2013

On 7/15/13 9:00 AM, Bill Bradford wrote:
> Pictures of some fiddly sample output:
>
> http://www.mrbill.net/3d/output/
>
> Did I mention that I also ordered a Printrbot Simple ($299 kit)? :)

Nice! I did not realize that the Hobby 3D industry was so far along
these days.

I was the IT guy on the movie Coraline, which used 3D printing for all
the puppet faces and a few other elements of the film. We were using a
couple of high end printers, and while the seams between levels were a
lot smoother due to the much thinner layers of resin, there was still a
lot of sanding needing to make the faces smooth. Downside was that a
single face was extremely expensive and labor intensive.

I'm really excited about the possibilities of this technology down the
road. Imagine being able easily build parts for a car you're restoring.
Or in our case, build a new skin for an SGI machine that has been banged
up.

--
Rick Hamell

Linkedin Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/6/946/27