[geeks] Invoking a GNU 'screen' session as multiuser from a command line

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sat Jun 16 10:42:18 CDT 2012

On 06/16/2012 08:32 AM, Mark Benson wrote:
> Title says is all really. GNU screen has a multi-user mode that allows you to
> access a running screen session from multiple users. However I can only so-far
> find any information on how to set a session as multi-user inside a screen
> session itself. What I want to be able to do is invoke screen in a
> non-interactive startup script using the '-dm' switch but have it user
> accessible from multiple users.
>
> Anyone pulled that off before?

Not in screen, but it's trivial to do in tmux.  Have you considered
using tmux instead?

I've been gradually switching all of my screen stuff over to tmux.  It's
like screen, except ... better.  (For instance, it handles resizes more
gracefully than screen does, and you can do things like send commands
into a tmux session without actually connecting a terminal to it at all.)

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.