[geeks] Awesome Technical Support

Rick Hamell hamellr at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 15:22:58 CST 2012

On 1/16/12 11:51 AM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 01:07:48PM -0600, Jonathan Patschke wrote:
>> My experience with technical support (even pre-sales) over the past few
>> years has conditioned me to expect a pattern of questions receiving canned
>> answers until those questions are escalated to someone who gives me
>> incomplete or wrong information unless I have a paid support contract.
>>
>> Granted, Coriolis Systems is a small company, but I was pleasantly
>> surprised to discover that interactions like this still happen:
>>
>>    http://jonathan.celestrion.net/stuff/awesome-technical-support.html
>
> That's impressive.

It's disappointing that we now have to celebrate good, even competent
customer service.

I asked the guys over at QuickerTek a question about their products,
looking for more details about their product before purchasing. Their
answer back was "Yes." They did this to me three separate times, and one
question has an either/or answer! I ended up purchasing their product
anyways, but have been extremely unhappy with it and ended up
decommissioning it.

The guys over Enable-It on the other hand not only replaced two of my
six dead units no questions asked, and answered every single technical
question I tossed at them in pretty great detail. And when I made the
suggestion for a lock to keep the power and Ethernet cables from coming
loose, they not only designed one, but sent a copy to me for free for
testing. Three weeks after I made the suggestion!

I used to work the help desk at my current place of employment. Since
then the help desk has changed hands three or four times and is now
outsourced to Mexico and the Philippines. You're lucky if you get anyone
who can speak clearly enough to understand in the first place, and half
the time they don't know how to fix the problem and end up sending it to
Desktop guys anyways. On top of that, the concept of SLAs have been
totally removed, even a "server is down, multiple groups are affected,
presentation in two hours," can take a week to fix. And don't even
bother asking for something outside of the core competencies. I've
pretty much become the defacto helpdesk person for my division because I
can at least do the basic troubleshooting.

--
Rick Hamell

Linkedin Profile - http://www.linkedin.com/pub/6/946/27
Technology Blog - http://www.1nova.com/blog
Pacific Northwest Photo Blog - http://www.1nova.com/photoblog

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of hamellr.vcf]