[geeks] rj-45 boots installed after connector?

Bob rjtoegel at verizon.net
Fri Sep 2 08:00:44 CDT 2011

 On 09/02/11, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:I have some specialized cables that
use RJ-45 connectors. They don't come with
protective boots on them, and I would like to add something to keep the
clips intact.

Normally I hate the boots and prefer cables with out them, but these
are different, you plug them in, run a program on the computer for a
few minutes and then unplug them. If they fall out during the operation
you coud end up with a very expensive brick.

The cables are not cheap and the wiring is not standard, so I can't cut
off the plugs when the clips break and re-do it. Maybe you can with the
right plugs, very good eyesight and a very steady hand, but I don't have
any of those.

The other end of the cable is a DB-9 plug with a specialized RS-232 to
TTL level convertor set in it, so I don't want to throw them out.

They are made in China, so there is no chance of my sending them back
for "re-clipping".

One thing I was thinking of is to split a boot longways and put it on
the cable. To hold it in place, I would wrap the cable end with tape.

Any suggestions?

Well, depending what you need of the boot, you could slice off the end
where the cable comes out and slip it over the connector (slip the
connector in the now open end of the boot as if you were plugging it in a
socket) until it was in the proper position.  Then you just have to use
some "adhesive" so the boot doesn't slide off on the cable side.  I've
done this and it does work.  That's what I hate about those connectors,
crappy clips.

Bob