[geeks] Slow Sol10 patching on T5140

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Wed Oct 26 11:00:22 CDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 11:38 AM, William Enestvedt
<William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu> wrote:
> We have a couple of T5140s with two to four Whole-Root Zones each, and
> applying a Recommnded patch cluster is taking HOURS. Am I missing
> something here?

Always add the patch for patchadd.

I wonder how much of it is IO-related. We have a few ops going on at
the same time..

1) Reading of the patch from where-ever it is located
2) writing of data to various file systems
3) back-out data being written to /var/sadm

If you're splitting the mirror of the root disk before you patch (so
that way you have a pre-patch fail-back) you don't need to save
backout data, since booting off the alternate root is your backout
strategy. So, you can use patchadd -d and save space and time...

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19082-01/819-2240/6n4htdngv/index.html