[geeks] Slow Sol10 patching on T5140

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Oct 26 10:38:49 CDT 2011

We have a couple of T5140s with two to four Whole-Root Zones each, and
applying a Recommnded patch cluster is taking HOURS. Am I missing
something here?

   I am aware of the Zones Parallel Patching feature,
(http://blogs.oracle.com/patch/entry/zones_parallel_patching_feature_now
), and it didn't help much. There's also a patch for patchadd that I
saw. These have plenty of RAM and room on disk, and use ZFS on the local
hard drives.

   Is there some other "tree" that I am overlooking while staring at the
"forest"? Is patching Solaris 10 just more time-consuming now, making
Live Upgrade a must-do? (We did notice that there are more Security and
Recommended patches than there were a few years ago.) It's very
frustrating.

   Thanks for any suggestions.

- Will
--