[geeks] NTP on Windows

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Tue Jun 21 09:12:08 CDT 2011

On 06/21/11 09:26, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Dan Sikorski wrote:
>> If it is an active directory domain member this behavior is changed. A
>> domain member will sync with it's domain controller more frequently.
>
> Again, with *SNTP*, not NTP.
>
> It steps the clock.  It doesn't slew it.  That's a feature not included
> with SNTP.  These machines are industrial instrumentation and control
> data aggregation boxes in a very large manufacturing plant.  They are
> aggregating data on (sometimes) 1/4 second intervals.  I'm getting
> problems from the system clocks being being updated by 10-15 seconds at
> times.

How infrequently are they updating that they're drifting 10-15 seconds?
 I don't think any of my machines gets 15 seconds of uncorrected clock
drift in a *year*.

I personally like Dimension4.  You can set it to update as frequently as
every minute.  And if you have a Windows PC whose clock drifts a quarter
second per minute, it belongs on the scrap pile anyway.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.