[geeks] Font Q. I give up...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Fri Jun 17 14:50:14 CDT 2011

On 6/17/2011 3:01 PM, Jonathan J. M. Katz wrote:
> Geeks,
>
> I want to play with some old DEC fonts. I found them at this blog post:
>
> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/200712/ancient_history_the_digital_logo.html
>
> I can't for the life of me figure out how to integrate them into the
> Windows Font pool. I try to drag-n-drop them into Fonts Control Panel
> (Windows 7), and it says it is invalid/not a font file. I played with
> some ps2pdf stuff, and the postscript is valid. I also played with
> t1utils and wasn't able to get anywhere. .ps != .afm from what I can
> tell.
>
> Any clues on how I can import them and use them?

I don't think Windows uses Postscript fonts anymore.  You probably need
to convert them to TrueType fonts (.ttf).  There are multiple ways to do
that, including FontForge.sourceforge.net .  Probably easier if you have
access to a Linux box.  I am not sure if GhostScript has a tool to do
the PS - TTF converstion or not.

--PAtrick