[geeks] Nokia is getting the Rick Belluzzo treatment...

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Wed Jun 8 16:41:47 CDT 2011

On 06/08/11 17:28, Shannon wrote:
> On 08-Jun-2011 02:28, der Mouse wrote:
>> (2) their UI is designed
>> around the assumption that it's perfectly reasonable to mix use of
>> keyboard and mouse (there are few more effective ways to annoy the hell
>> out of me and slaughter my productivity than making me bounce back and
>> forth between keyboard and mouse).
>
> Personally, I like that just fine doing general work, and generally find
> I don't have to use the mouse very much. Interesting that Plan 9 goes
> specifically into the idea that you will use both, frequently. Its a
> very odd system, with some swearing by it as much as others wear at it.

Actually, one of my beefs with the classic MacOS (of which OSX still
retains most of the UI foibles and vices) is that there were too many
operations that you could perform NO OTHER WAY than with the mouse.  If
your mouse failed or became unresponsive (which, in my experience, Mac
mice frequently did), you had a crippled machine.  With even early
versions of Windows, virtually everything in the UI had a keyboard
alternative, even though they were often obscure and awkward; they
EXISTED.  In the years that I was running Macs, I ran a heavily patched
Finder with a lot of keyboard shortcuts added for commands that didn't
have them out-of-the-box.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.