[geeks] Introductory programming language?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:54:44 CDT 2011

She is (apparently) older than 40, since she suffered through some Fortran
programming over 35 years ago, I don't think teaching someone Assembler as a
first language is a bad idea at all. Of course, the student needs to be
interested in the nuts and bolts of how the hardware works...

I will (again) promote one of my favorite books on Computing - "Code" by
Charles Petzold, it is very readable and takes you from smoke signals to the
telegraph to binary numbers, then talks about building computer elements out
of relays and such...

Lionel

On Aug 31, 2011, at 6:47 PM, Michael Vergallen <mvergall at skynet.be> wrote:

> On 09/01/2011 12:15 AM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> APL? ;^)
>>
>> 370 Assembler?
>>
> I don4t know but this seems to be just as logical as asking a three year old
to do diffential calculations. Assembler is to hard to learn as a first
language, for a beginner this would really turn them off the idea of
programming.