[geeks] Introductory programming language?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 31 18:46:02 CDT 2011

Mainframe assembler is not hard at all, and it has the happy coincidence of
also teaching you how the hardware actually works, not some abstraction
through a powerful translator...

Computer Learning Center (a technical school, where real people learned how to
code for mainframes with no computer background) used to teach a one month
intro to computers class, a two month COBOL class, a two month 370 Assembler
class and a one month JCL class to their students. They used to alternate
which programming class came first - sometimes you learned COBOL then BAL,
other times you learns BAL then COBOL. They did not see a dramatic difference
between students based on which language you learned first (as I recall)...

APL was, of course, a joke - unless the woman happens to be a mathematician!
;^)

Lionel