[geeks] hurricane check

J. Alexander Jacocks jjacocks at mac.com
Tue Aug 30 06:39:25 CDT 2011

On Aug 30, 2011 12:31 AM, "Rick Hamell" <hamellr at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/29/11 9:15 PM, William Enestvedt wrote:
>
> >     Our power has been up and down, and hopefully it's up for good now.
Not too
> > much rain, but WOW some really large trees were simply uprooted.
Electrical
> > lines were yanked from one end of the block to the other, and I actually
saw a
> > guy taking a chainsaw to a tree OVER HIS HEAD that was dragging down a
line.
> > (I took a photo for his future widow.) (He lived, but then he and
another guy
> > gathered up all the loose electrical line from up and down the block.
Those
> > genes probably won't get passed on.)
>
> I'm headed to Bristol Connecticut next week. According to my contacts
> there, it's flooding in several places and looks like the rest of the
> week is going to be a long clean up schedule.

On the Eastern Shore of Maryland, we got 60+ MPH wind, and a ton of rain.
Somehow, my wife and I got off with only 18 hours of power loss, and zero
damage.  We feel _very_ lucky.

The rest of my county is heavily affected, with trees down, and bridges
out.  Some of my co-workers are being told that it will be between one and
two weeks before they get power back, and most houses around here are on
wells.  For them, no power = no water, or even sewer, in some cases.

-Alex