[geeks] [rescue] consciousness immortality [was: Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks]

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Fri Aug 26 17:10:45 CDT 2011

" From: Mouse <mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG>
"
" > well, any number of copies would have the same sense-of-self as you
" > the original do, if they're faithful, accurate, and complete.  they
" > still wouldn't be -you- the original, just clones.
"
" I'm not sure they wouldn't.  "A difference that makes no difference is
" no difference"

that's like saying identical twins are 1 person, b/c you can't tell
them apart.  there are still 2 of them, not 1.

" - I'm not sure what "-me- the original" actually is,

for purposes of arg, in advance of any of this tech existing '-me- the
original' is the one who's involved in this discussion.

" so
" I can't do more than speculate about whether the distinction you're
" trying to draw would be real.

for me, it hinges on whether a real transference is ever possible, not
just copy/deletion.

" >> We don't yet know.  For all we know, it may turn out that during the
" >> time that both the CHON you and the silicon you exist, they will
" >> share a single mind.
"
" > unity is a promising concept, but -- here's a nightmare for ya:
"
" > suppose that, after years of happy fusion, one day the organic part
" > of you dies -- and the silicon part of you discovers that there was
" > something you were able to do before which you now can't, and you
" > can't even remember exactly what it was...
"
" That's no more of a nightmare to me than the prospect of a purely-meat
" me suffering death of a part - a stroke, for example - and thereby
" suffering a very similar loss.

and no less of a nightmare, either.