[geeks] [rescue] consciousness immortality [was: Sun Sparcstation 20 hard disks]

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Fri Aug 26 15:04:22 CDT 2011

> well, any number of copies would have the same sense-of-self as you
> the original do, if they're faithful, accurate, and complete.  they
> still wouldn't be -you- the original, just clones.

I'm not sure they wouldn't.  "A difference that makes no difference is
no difference" - I'm not sure what "-me- the original" actually is, so
I can't do more than speculate about whether the distinction you're
trying to draw would be real.

>> We don't yet know.  For all we know, it may turn out that during the
>> time that both the CHON you and the silicon you exist, they will
>> share a single mind.

> unity is a promising concept, but -- here's a nightmare for ya:

> suppose that, after years of happy fusion, one day the organic part
> of you dies -- and the silicon part of you discovers that there was
> something you were able to do before which you now can't, and you
> can't even remember exactly what it was...

That's no more of a nightmare to me than the prospect of a purely-meat
me suffering death of a part - a stroke, for example - and thereby
suffering a very similar loss.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org