[geeks] Any left handed guitar players out there?

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Mon Sep 27 17:13:42 CDT 2010

On Sep 27, 2010, at 5:56 PM, hike wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 2:14 PM, <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:
>
>> Is anyone here a left handed guitar player?
>>
>> Did you learn via a course (on line, video, book)?
>>

>> My son wants to learn the guitar. We bought him a used left handed guitar,
>

> It would be easier if the instructor is across from/in front of him rather
> than beside him.

Left-handed guitars are not particularly useful for left-handed people. You
have to get both hands working in order to play well. I'm left handed, so it
does help with fret positions. My recommendation is to get an instructor and
have him help pick out the guitar. The differences between a Gibson, Fender,
Yamaha, and the like play into how it feels on the player's hands.

As fars as instruction, there is nothing better than one-on-one with a
teacher. Most will have variable rates and will either come to your house or
work out of a music store. Check our your local music stores to see where the
instructors are buried.
-Andy Wallis