[geeks] Open Solaris, while I've been asleep.

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Oct 27 09:43:25 CDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 11:37:47AM +0200, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> Or actually while I have not been paying attention.
>
> I was asked about Open Solaris today. I went to the Opensolaris.com website
> and looked around. The latest version is 06 2009, is that June of 2009?
>
> The latest "news" item is from March of 2010.
>
> The SUN logo at the bottom of the screen has been replaced with Oracle.
>
> Is it still viable or is that the end of it?
>
> Thanks in advance,

OpenSolaris the distribution is dead.

Supposedly at some point this year, Solaris Express 11 will be
released.  Next year maybe Solaris 11 will be released.

Future source code releases to OpenSolaris the big ball of source code
will occur only after the related feature has been in shipping Solaris
11 for awhile.

I think that about summarizes the situation.  I believe this is where
the news came from:
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/opensolaris-discuss/2010-August/059310.html