[geeks] Cats and Squirrels

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Mar 23 16:01:56 CDT 2010

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 15:14:21 -0500, Brian Dunbar wrote:
> The first one would laze on the patio and watch the passing scene.

One of my sister's two cats pretends to be like that, but she's begun
to realise he's probably the real hunter of the pair. Amongst other
little incidents (occasionally being caught bringing catches back
home), he once spent a while watching my sister and her husband chasing
a live mouse around the kitchen. Eventually realised that they weren't
playing and really did want to catch the mouse; less than 2 seconds
later the mouse was caught.

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Sridhar Ayengar
> <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Are domestic housecats good enough hunters to kill and eat
> > squirrels?

I suspect that if you want them to kill squirrels, you'll have to
marinate the squirrels in catnip to get them to do so.

If on the other hand they decide squirrels are good to eat and/or fun to
chase, the more aggressive ones will chomp on a squirrel or two. Of
course squirrels tend to be a bit aggressive themselves, so some less
aggressive cats may give them space.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  ... indeed, there is something vaguely dishonourable in having lived