[geeks] 1080p TV broadcasts?

Nate nate at portents.com
Mon Jun 14 21:52:31 CDT 2010

On Jun 14, 2010, at 9:20 PM, Andrew Jones wrote:

> TV started to be mastered on video in the 80s.

Sounds about right... the show WKRP in Cincinnati was a videotaped show
(season 1 was 1978), and what I've read it was unusual for the time, but
because the royalties for using commercial music on a videotaped show vs. a
filmed show were much lower, they saved a lot of money by videotaping.

Unfortunately, much of that music has had to be removed from both re-runs and
the DVD release of the show due to rights issues, which in some cases has
involved voice actor sound-alikes having to re-dub lines spoken by the
original actors over the original music in some scenes (music which has had to
be replaced by generic sound-alike music).  Back in 2005 they weren't sure the
show would even make it to DVD:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2005/03/66696

(Now that it is out on DVD, many fans are unhappy that so much music has had
to be removed/replaced.)

> For TV shows less "classic" than Star Trek: TOS or The Prisoner,
> there may never be the budget to go back to the original film,
> assuming it still exists.

It is amazing how good an old show shot on 35mm like The Prisoner can look on
Blu-Ray:

http://www.dvdoutsider.co.uk/bluray/reviews/p/prisoner.html

- Nate