[geeks] California Proposition 14

Jonathan J. M. Katz jon at jonworld.com
Sat Jun 5 18:18:54 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Sridhar Ayengar <ploopster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I see no way in hell that that's a positive.
>
> Indeed.  It's an effective way for people who hold minority viewpoints
> (which usually includes me) to make their voices heard.
>
> Peace...  Sridhar

Flash back a few years to the California Governor recall election and
how everyone and anyone who could be was on the ballot. An amazing
exercise in democracy, in many ways, but it was an embarrassment to
the professional politicians.

Here in Indiana it is extremely hard for a 3rd party candidate to get
on many ballots, and even for one of the two-party candidates to get
on the ballot for a federal election. Most of the rules exist solely
to ensure the system remains a two-party system.