[geeks] hiding DNS information

nate at portents.com nate at portents.com
Wed Jun 2 15:28:04 CDT 2010

On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 21:40:35 +0300, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
>>> Doing something illegal?
>>
>>No offense, but that's a plain idiotic comment.
>
> no, it's a clear question. Every shady or illegal deal I have seen uses
> hidden DNS, usually from DNS by proxy. While I am sure that there are
some
> people who do it who are not crooks, scammers, SPAMers, and porn
vendors,
> it's very few and no one will believe you.

When I recently registered a domain for a wedding website I'm making for
myself, I used gandi.net and I selected their option to anonymize my
personal info... I'm not running an e-commerce site, I'm currently not
doing any email through it, and I've also made it so that none of my web
pages are indexed by web indexing bots.  The only people who ever need to
know about that site are the people that I personally communicate it to.
What would I gain by having my personal contact info in my DNS records?

- Nate