[geeks] hiding DNS information

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Jun 2 13:40:35 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 02, 2010 at 02:30:03PM -0400, Shannon wrote:

>I can be contacted about any DNS/whois issues without my personal information
>being available.

If you really want to be not anonymous, but not deluged with SPAM or give out
personal information, there are legal and open ways to do it.

1. Open a gmail account which you only use for DNS.

2. Spend the $50 a year to have google run your domain email.

3. Get a post office box, or one of the "Suite xxx" boxes at a mail
    forwarder.

4. If it is real business, use your registered address for the business.

5. Get a google voice or IPKALL phone number and post that. Have them
    go to voice mail.

>> Doing something illegal?
>
>No offense, but that's a plain idiotic comment.

no, it's a clear question. Every shady or illegal deal I have seen uses
hidden DNS, usually from DNS by proxy. While I am sure that there are some
people who do it who are not crooks, scammers, SPAMers, and porn vendors,
it's very few and no one will believe you.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.