[geeks] hiding DNS information

Shannon shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Jun 2 13:48:55 CDT 2010

On Jun 1, 2010, at 16:14 , der Mouse wrote:

>> I have a domain where you cannot use secret registration, and besides
>> that most DNS companies charge you for it.
>
> That sounds more like WHOIS info than DNS records to me.  Assuming
> you're actually talking about WHOIS:

Yep, sorry.

> I am a very strong believer that such "secret registrations"
> (WHOIS-info-blinded) are abusive, that if you care that much about
> keeping your information private the correct thing to do is to not
> register domains.

I don't follow that at all.

I have made a lot of "things" public which are "mine" but do not give away my
personal information.  Why should a domain be any different?

My small business is public, registered, and advertised but does not give my
personal information.

Just like the DNS/whois information, there is no need and there are negatives
to doing so which have nothing to do with illicit activity on my part.

Anyone who needs to do business with me can.

Anyone who needs to interact with me about DNS information can.

This seems pretty simple and straightforward to me.

>> What I'm talking about is places that sell you an address and contact
>> information, generally used by freelancers and small businesses.
>
> That, on the other hand, I consider reasonable, fundamentally no
> different from a business's domain (correctly) pointing to the
> business's contact info.  The point is the contact info must actually
> work and the whois-blinding "services" generally - invariably, in my
> experience - produce info that doesn't.  I've yet to find one whose
> registered email addresses don't go straight to an ignorebot, for
> example, which ought to be grounds for summary revocation of the
> domain's registration.

Those people won't be answering you regardless of what the whois records show,
so I'm not sure I see the problem.

My goal isn't to become impossible to contact.  In fact, if anything this will
make things better for anyone who needs to contact me, because my personal
information can change and sometimes I cannot be contacted.  The service I
ended up choosing can be contacted even if I cannot.

The only thing that has changed is information no one needs to know is not
there, and getting DNS issues resolved has become a little easier for anyone
who needs to do that.

It's a win/win situation for me and anyone looking at my domain.

Could I abuse it?  Sure, but I could also just as easily abuse a non-private
registration.