[geeks] hiding DNS information

der Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Tue Jun 1 15:14:45 CDT 2010

> What solutions have you guys came up with for avoiding your personal
> information being put in DNS records?

I don't see the problem - I don't see any personal information in DNS
records, except my email address in SOA records.  (Well, except for
free-form TXT records which deliberately contain it.)

> I have a domain where you cannot use secret registration, and besides
> that most DNS companies charge you for it.

That sounds more like WHOIS info than DNS records to me.  Assuming
you're actually talking about WHOIS:

I am a very strong believer that such "secret registrations"
(WHOIS-info-blinded) are abusive, that if you care that much about
keeping your information private the correct thing to do is to not
register domains.  I actively refuse email from such domains in cases
where I have an easy way to mechanically identify them - this is
related to why I switched from rodents.montreal.qc.ca to
rodents-montreal.org for my own use.

> What I'm talking about is places that sell you an address and contact
> information, generally used by freelancers and small businesses.

That, on the other hand, I consider reasonable, fundamentally no
different from a business's domain (correctly) pointing to the
business's contact info.  The point is the contact info must actually
work, and the whois-blinding "services" generally - invariably, in my
experience - produce info that doesn't.  I've yet to find one whose
registered email addresses don't go straight to an ignorebot, for
example, which ought to be grounds for summary revocation of the
domain's registration.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org