[geeks] more on dune

Joost van de Griek gyorpb at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 05:47:45 CDT 2010

On Jun 1, 2010, at 12:38, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 12:17:15PM +0200, Joost van de Griek wrote:
>
>> Are you serious?
>
> Yes, I am serious.
> Quite simply, I have a different meaning to modesty and what I would
> expose
> my children to.
> The first nude(ish) scene was not something I would want them to see
> anyway, Paul sees Chani without her desert coverings for the first
> time
> when she gets undressed and stares at her for several seconds.
> I really don't care about how many times he's seen her in his
> dreams, I consider it rude to watch a woman you don't know get
> undressed where she
> expects some privacy, and don't want my children to think it is ok.

Well, Chani clearly wasn't expecting privacy at that time, I suspect;
after all, she's undressing in a large cave, surrounded by her
tribesmen. Who are also undressing, by the way. Apparently, the Fremen
are rather liberated about this sort of thing.

I do believe there is a message there that Chani is embarrassed to be
seen by Paul, but not by her tribesmen.

Anyway. Of course you should raise your children as you see fit, but I
do believe that if seeing that scene instills in them the sense that
it is alright to ogle naked women without consent, you've got bigger
problems to wrestle than a flash of boob in a TV series.

> The other was a naked slave girl in the bath with Feyd, []

I don't recall that scene. It is quite natural for people to be naked
when they take a bath, though, isn't it?

.tsooJ
--
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups