[geeks] Four-port PCI Ethernet?

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Jul 6 13:32:14 CDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 02:21:46PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> One of the two onboard interfaces on my firewall died Sunday night.  I'm
> not certain how long the other will last.  Being a 1U box, I only have
> one accessible PCI slot in it, and it's already filled with a dual
> EEPro.  I need a minimum of three working ports on the box.
>
> So, does anyone know...
>
> - Will a Sun PCI qfe work in PC hardware?

It should since it is reported to work in PCs running OpenSolaris.  I
haven't tried it myself yet though.  I have a Via PC I've been meaning
to stick a qfe into and setup FreeBSD or OpenBSD on it.

> - If so, will OpenBSD x86 talk to it?  (The hme is on the OpenBSD/i386
> HCL, but the qfe isn't.)

FreeBSD says it will, but what that means for OpenBSD, I don't know
without trying.

> - What other options exist to get four 10/100 ports in a single 32-bit
> PCI slot in an x86 box?

Search ebay.  There is a DEC card out there that should work pretty much
everywhere.  There is a Znyx card that I don't know anything
about. There is an Adaptec card that has FreeBSD and OpenBSD drivers
listed.