[geeks] Dell PSU punt

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 16:03:10 CST 2010

For all your folks who work with Dell Optiplex 740 computers (mine is a MT)
you will be no-doubt delighted to know they work fine with any off-the-shelf
20-pin or 24-pin PSU. I'd go as far as saying any that match that PSU layout
probably will in fact.

I decided as the machine was thought to be dead and we worked out the Dell PSU
has no other +12V lines onto the board via the main plug that we;d give it a
shot with a 24-pin we had laying about. It gained enough life to convince us
it was working so we swapped it for a 300W ATC 20-pin and forwent the extra
wires. It just booted successfully into Windows XP same as usual.

I'll take it back into work tomorrow and get another PSU sorted out for it and
hopefully get a few more years out of it probably as a Dev box in my office or
something, it'd be perfect as it's nice and quiet.

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>