[geeks] Dell PSU punt

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Tue Jan 26 10:30:15 CST 2010

On 1/25/2010 10:46 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 8:15 AM, Mark Benson<md.benson at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi, got more of a request for moral support than anything!
>>
>> I have just swapped out a Dell Optiplex 740 that sits and sulks with a
>> flashing orange power LED.
>>
> Here at work when we see those, the units are considered dead. We see
> that on Optiplex GX270s mainly, and it is the sign that the capacitors
> are about to give up their magic "goo" and leak all over the board...

You beat me too it, we had a run of Optiplex 740s at work (at least a
dozen) that had failed motherboards with those symtoms.  Some got
replacements under warranty before it expired, the rest were junked.  I
wouldn't spend too much money or time on the power supply, as from my
experience it's almost certainly the motherboard.

     -Dan Sikorski