[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 19 05:09:29 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 12:56:55PM +0200, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:

> My experience has been you can get 2-3 megabytes per second on an empty
> network depending upon the processor speed, card type, operating system and
> driving protocol and operating systems (ftp is the fastest, AFP from
> Linux is the slowest). YMMV.

OOPs, I said operating system twice. One more time and Windows will appear
in front of me. :-)

BTW, just for the record 1000BaseT is not 1000 megabits per second ethernet.
It's four 250meg connections operating in parallel. In normal circumstances,
I'm not sure that matters, but it might.

I also have no idea of what happens when one of the connections stops
working, do you loose them all, or does it just slow down?

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.