[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Tue Jan 19 04:56:55 CST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 01:37:12AM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

>Well...I'm not sure I'd say it's "insufficient".  It's insufficient
>only to keep the tape streaming for indefinitely long times, and I'm
>not convinced that's necessary.  At work, our backup machine does just
>fine with 100Mb - it dumps everything to disk files (amanda "virtual
>tapes"), but with a gig or so of buffer it could burst to a tape drive
>just fine.

I sure would. Another poster said the drive needed 40megabytes a second
to not "shoeshine". 100mbit etherner is only 12.5 megabytes per second,
assuming you get 100% of the bandwidth. IMHO unlikely.

My experience has been you can get 2-3 megabytes per second on an empty
network depending upon the processor speed, card type, operating system and
driving protocol and operating systems (ftp is the fastest, AFP
from Linux is the slowest). YMMV.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.