[geeks] Q: Regarding Linux in K-12 education

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Mon Jan 18 11:06:47 CST 2010

On Sunday 17 January 2010, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 17, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Patrick Finnegan
>
> <pat at computer-refuge.org> wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 January 2010, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> >> I also have serious doubts there are any really large (1,000+)
> >> Linux desktop deployments outside the Linux software industry...
> >> Not POS or server deployments, but desktop, end-user general
> >> computing deployments.
> >
> > One word: Universities.
>
> Patrick,
>
> In your experience, do there tend to be large deployments or lots of
> smaller deployments? What I mean is, are the 1,000+ computers in one
> "domain" (for lack of a better word) or little department roll-outs
>  in labs and selected classrooms? I suspect the latter, but wonder
>  what your experience is...

Both, really.  There are some (usually small) computer labs and
standalone machines that are maintained by individual (smaller)
professors, or departments, though smaller departments tend to not
deploy Linux desktops.

Engineering's IT group (ECN) has widespread deployments of centrally
managed Linux and Solaris computer labs and individual workstations
(both are managed using the same tool, and in fact the same global
configuration, developed in-house, called "IGOR").  According to my
source that works there, they maintain about 700 of them.

Purdue's central IT maintains a number of Linux computer labs that
recently replaced Solaris X86 labs (which had replaced Solaris on SPARC
labs not long before that), which are managed using a locally maintained
version of rdist and something that looks like a *BSD ports tree.  They
run quite a few less Linux desktops than ECN does.

My group runs just a handful of desktop machines, but they're Ubuntu
machines that are run using the same configuration tool that we maintain
our clusters and servers with (cfengine version 2.2).  There's no reason
that we couldn't scale that out to a much larger base.

Pat