[geeks] Well, THAT was a setback

Phil Stracchino alaric at metrocast.net
Sun Jan 17 17:34:17 CST 2010

On 01/17/10 17:37, Mike Meredith wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 16:05:06 -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> I've heard people talk about the Linux TCP stack falling down under
>> heavy load, but never had it happen to me.  Until today.
>
> Definitely the TCP stack ?
>
> The reason I ask is that some Linux ethernet drivers are better than
> others, and I've seen flakiness from some Linux machines with (cough)
> network adapters, but not with (for example) Intel ones (the server
> ones by preference).

You do have a point.  It *could* be the 2.6-kernel 3c905 driver that
barfed.  That driver worked fine all the way up to 2.4.37 ... but that
doesn't preclude someone breaking it in 2.6.

I could try swapping in an EEPro/100.  I THINK I have one more good
EEPro lying around somewhere.

  alaric at caerllewys.net   alaric at metrocast.net   phil at co.ordinate.org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.