[geeks] TV tuner Questions

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 13:48:09 CST 2010

I want to build my first mediacenter box, just a Win 7 Enterprise PC
with a TV tuner for watching non-subscription cable channels (USA
network, CNN, etc). I have several older tv tuner cards, but none
decode digital channels. One, however gets the 'new' channels (6.1,
13.1, etc.), and the analog cards get about a dozen channels in the
2-23 range, ignoring higher channels.

I'm willing to try a Happauge tuner card (dual tuner, clear Quam/
Analog) that's about a $105 card, but only if it will get all
channels, 2-96 that my free cable company 'free decoder' box gets, but
if it won't work I guess I'll need an IR blaster and keep the free
cable box in line. Not terrible, but I'd prefer a simpler solution
(one with no box)...

Anyone found a way around this? The free cable boxes have to be
activated, so I'm guessing even non-subscriber channels are
'protected'...

Lionel