[geeks] Ubuntu on Intel graphics

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Sun Feb 28 13:46:48 CST 2010

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 02:31:25PM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:

>options... I think Ubuntu quality is slipping, the community isn't
>stepping up and testing, instead becoming complacent...

No, it's because they have become too rigid. Look up the discussions that
caused the creation of the 9.04 Netbook Respin. To make it short, in the
early release candidates people started complaining that it would not
boot on netbooks (or PIII's, etc).

It was fixed in a later release candidate, and then broken again. By the
time it was noticed that the defective kernel was included in what was to
become the release (2 or 3 days past the deadline), it was decided that
enforcing the deadline was more important than releasing a system that
would not boot on many machines, and more importantly, not to include
a warning that if you did not have the right processor, to wait for
an update before you installed it and had an unbootable system.

It was later packaged as a "Netbook Respin" which was respun as it were to
provide a better GUI for netbooks. Ironicaly, it would not boot on many
of the processors that the old one would boot. :-(

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.