[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 3 06:54:16 CST 2010

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 2:31 PM, <gsm at mendelson.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 10:38:45AM -0800, Nadine Miller wrote:
>
>> Any external dock connector battery for the iPhone will work for the iPad.
>> They use the same wattage of AC adapter.
>>

> Do airplanes have ac sockets? I thought they were gone.
>

>  Bzzt.  Kindle's have supported PDFs natively for a while.
>>

> BZZT back to you. The Kindle DX came with it, the Kindle 2 had it added
> about
> 3 months ago, the Kindle does not read PDF files.
>

>> Really folks, how about a little fact checking before making
>> broad-sweeping
>> statements?
>>

> You said it, not me. :-)
>

>  Since I don't know the size of the books you read, I can only guess, but
>>> a nook with a handful of SD RAM cards would probaly hold everything you
>>>
>> could
>>
>>> read in your life, let alone on one trip.
>>>

>> As would the iPad, with the added benefit of being able to watch video,
>> play
>> mp3's and surf the web.
>>

> That was the original comment I was refuting. That one could buy a nook,
> and a bunch of SD RAM cards for a lot less than iPad. Since the point of
> the
> comment was that the person was going to leave it there as a gift, being
> able
> to spend $299 instead of $499 makes a big difference. Almost enough to buy
> two.

This makes NO difference!  The Nook is vastly inferior to the iPad.  (At
this time neither device is available in our area so everything is based on
B&N's and Apple's announcements and comments and, secondarily, on comments
of other ebook reader and iPhone  owners.)  The Nook (and any black and
white ebook reader) will offer a vastly inferior experience.  The iPad is
superior to the Nook in every area (for the purpose I would use it for).

As the one who wrote of taking an iPad on a foreign trip and leaving it at
the destination (with friends as a gift or for safe keeping)--the author of
the "original comment", the $200 difference is more than offset by the
bigger, color display, available apps, and versatility of the iPad.  That
is, the $200 difference (minus the cost of SD cards) is unimportant for the
intended purpose.  (You have missed the point of my comment!)

On a more personal note, why would I, not wanting a Nook or a Kindle/2/DX
for myself, buy one to give to a friend?  That makes no sense.  Plus, on the
practical side, the Nook/Kindle cannot connect in the country that we go to.
 On other hand, the iPad will be able to connect to computers.  Then there
is "customs"...but that is another story altogether.  (BTW, all the content
that I leave is either in the public domain or licensed.  In case anyone
wondered.)