[geeks] iPad - NOT a 'Miss' for me I'm afraid

Jon Gilbert jjj at io.com
Tue Feb 2 17:31:14 CST 2010

On Feb 2, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Nadine Miller <velociraptor at gmail.com>
wrote:
> ((Snip))
> I must've mis-read the Wikipedia article; I don't recall a
> distinction b/w the
> Kindle and the Kindle 2 being made.
>
>>> Really folks, how about a little fact checking before making
> broad-sweeping
>>> statements?
>>
>> You said it, not me. :-)
>
> OK, we're even. :-)  But I was speaking more to people making *a
> LOT* of
> assumptions in the absence of real facts--like multi-tasking.
> Really, we have
> no way of knowing until the thing is released.  That's not a
> marketing point
> that Apple would consider relevant to anyone but geeks, and we're
> not whom
> they market to.  They got burned by the Ghz battle before (RIP
> PowerPC Macs),
> so if it's not relevant as far as they're concerned, they don't
> mention it.

The 1ghz G4 Macs run OS X and Linux quite well. The iPad will rely on
its GPU and codec for 3D and video. And due to being based on SSD, it
will utterly destroy el-cheapo netbooks in terms of responsiveness,
browsing, playback scrubbing, etc. Storage access speed is the
bottleneck on most laptops and desktops. Mulitasking hoses this type
of cpu, but I'd rather have the extreme battery life... And when I
need horsepower a craptastic netbook is typically not what I'm gonna
turn to.

> I don't like it, but there it is.  Who am I to argue marketing with a
> multi-billion dollar success?  Their marketing methods obviously
> work!  I know
> what I want *technically*; if it fits when it's released and I can
> accept the
> price point I'll buy.  If not, then I'll take a pass.  In the
> meantime,
> listening to you lot isn't making the release date arrive any
> sooner. ;-)

I just hope it has a user-accessible FILE SYSTEM... but the memory
card adapter and iWork apps point to yes :)

Jon Gilbert