[geeks] DVI KVM & NOT Windows 7 USB issue

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 08:40:48 CDT 2010

On 30 Apr 2010, at 12:07, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 29, 2010, at 6:48 PM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm tempted just to use it as a 4-way DVI switcher for my 24" screen.
>
> Hello, Captain Obvious here again - let me try and redeem myself:
>
> A) How is this KVM powered? It leeches of a USB port I'll bet - any
> chance the system it's leeching from has USB power issues?
>
> B) If powered over USB, you may wind up needing a powered USB to run
> the KVM as a DVI switch
>
> C) Is there an actual switch on the KVM or does it work off key
> presses on the keyboard?
>
> Just a few thoughts from Caprain Obvious ;^)

It will either run off USB power or a power brick. I used the brick
knowing itwould likelyneed it. The brick is 5V at 2.4A and I've tried
swapping it for another known good brick with no improvement.
I figured it was a USB power issue as driver and comms wise the
keyboard and mouse work fine while they work, non of the usual key
sticks, mouse jerks or the like you usually get on KVMs.

All USB connections to the Computers were directly to onboard ports
not hubs.

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog