[geeks] DVI KVM & Windows 7 USB issue

David Muran-de Assereto dmuran at tuad.org
Thu Apr 29 18:05:17 CDT 2010

On Apr 29, 2010, at 17:22 , Mark Benson wrote:

> I just got a Startech StarView 4-port DVI KVM for use with my PC, Mac Pro
and
> PS3. It works like a charm on the PS3 and the Mac Pro, but Windows 7 has
> issues. The Keyboard and Mouse work fine after the usual USB pregnant pause
> when you plug in a new device. After about 5 mins they go dead and unplug,
or
> at least Windows 7 disowns them and they stop working. I tired 3 keyboards
> (PS/2 adapter, Apple USB and a generic USB) and 2 mice (both Microsoft USB
but
> radically different eras) and the symptoms are the same. It seems to happen
at
> roughly the same time interval which suggests the USB is maybe going to
> sleep?
>
> Any ideas? I'm typing this on the Mac Pro and nothing's cut out yet...

Windows 7 has a lot of USB problems. My wife's brand new Sony laptop would
lose all its USB connections at random intervals, including its internal
laptop keyboard and trackpad. The recommended (and only solution that ever
worked) was to power down the laptop, remove all power and the battery and let
it sit for 5-10 minutes. I solved the problem by install FEdora Core 12.

Dave

David Muran-de Assereto
dmuran at tuad.org
I'm going to write a C library called libtruncate.  Every time somebody needs
to truncate an array, they will feel obligated to use my library instead of
writing five lines of their own code to do the job.  And I will make
libtruncate depend on Gnome AND KDE.