[geeks] DVI KVM & Windows 7 USB issue

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 16:22:00 CDT 2010

I just got a Startech StarView 4-port DVI KVM for use with my PC, Mac Pro and
PS3. It works like a charm on the PS3 and the Mac Pro, but Windows 7 has
issues. The Keyboard and Mouse work fine after the usual USB pregnant pause
when you plug in a new device. After about 5 mins they go dead and unplug, or
at least Windows 7 disowns them and they stop working. I tired 3 keyboards
(PS/2 adapter, Apple USB and a generic USB) and 2 mice (both Microsoft USB but
radically different eras) and the symptoms are the same. It seems to happen at
roughly the same time interval which suggests the USB is maybe going to
sleep?

Any ideas? I'm typing this on the Mac Pro and nothing's cut out yet...

--
Mark Benson

My Blog:
<http://markbenson.org/blog>