[geeks] Ergonomic keyboard styles

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Thu Apr 29 03:00:05 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:07:51AM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
>My personal ranking of keyswitch feel, lowest to greatest: rubber dome <
>scissor (notebook style) < buckling spring < Alps (prefer old, true Alps) <
>Cherry MX (prefer Brown).  You should try to figure out what you like best.

Thanks all for the feedback. I've found it interesting that there was
a lot more in-thread interest in keyswitches than in key layout -
after all the ability to use our strongest digits (our thumbs) to press
Ctrl/alt/cmd/del is equally compelling for me.

Since some folk did say that the advantage keyboards had fairly good
key travel, and it has an intelligent layout, I'm going to order one
of them (for now!). I suspect that buying interesting keyboards could
become a hobby in its own right. Mrbill's Filco looks so sweet....

>> PS I'm not yet at the point where I'm considering a datahand:
>> http://www.datahand.com/
>
>I hear they're winding down their operations these days, sales aren't what
>they used to be unfortunately.  I respect what they created, too bad it's

It's actually sad that they're winding down as this is really
something that should have succeeded, and would be something that I
would buy one day if the price were more reasonable.

Cheers,
Jonathan

PS Since I'm new to the keyswitch scene, how would "Tokyo Press" fit
into the lowest to greatest scheme, eg. of such a kb:
http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,rftenkeyless&pid=rf_se1700
or even the "Happy Hacker", are they merely fancy buckling spring keyboards?