[geeks] Ergonomic keyboard styles

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Wed Apr 28 11:30:38 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 10:07:51AM -0400, nate at portents.com wrote:
> Cherry MX Brown mechanical keyswitches, sadly not used much in ergo
> keyboards (most are cheap rubber domes).  The DataDesk SmartBoard uses Alps
> (or clones of Alps) mechanical keyswitches:
> http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_sb.html

My current work keyboard, with Cherry MX Browns (tactile):

http://www.mrbill.net/gh/keyboard-cropped.jpg

My current home keyboard, with Cherry MX Blues (tactile/clicky):

http://www.mrbill.net/gh/filco.jpg

Both boards have had some or all of their original keycaps replaced by
double-shot caps from other Cherry-keyswitch boards I've bought off eBay.

I have this board arriving in a couple of days:

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=filco_keyboards,majestouch_87key&pid=fkbn87meb

"Tenkeyless" (no number pad), with Cherry MX Browns.  I'll be replacing its
keycaps with double-shot versions as well.

For the longest time I was a Model M (buckling spring) fanatic, and I still
like them - but after discovering Cherry MX Blue/Brown switches I really
prefer them (and they're much friendlier in a shared office environment).

One of the best mechanical-keyboard resources I've found is the GeekHack
forums:

http://www.geekhack.org

Bill

--