[geeks] Coffee survey

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Apr 28 21:45:33 CDT 2010

On 4/28/2010 12:58 PM, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> This is an informal coffee survey. I know that many of the people on this
> list are serious coffee drinkers. I wanted another opinion.

I'm late to the conversation, but as a self proclaimed fan of brewed
beverages and coffee snob, I cannot let this topic go by without
throwing in my two cents.

I can tell by unscientific observation that coffee releases gasses in
the period of 1-3 days after roasting.  I get most of my coffee shipped
to me from Intelligentsia on the day that it roasted and it is on my
porch when i get home from work the next day.  I immediately take it
inside and store it in airtight stoneware containers.  For the first few
days, there is a noticeable pop as the seal of those containers are
broken, indicating that the air pressure inside the container has
changed.  After the first few days that no longer happens.  The best
espresso shots that I have pulled at home have been with beans that were
roasted 3-5 days before, but i'm nowhere near consistent enough to claim
that the freshness of the beans was the primary factor in that, and i
only make espresso on weekends.  Beans that are more than a month old do
not make as good of espresso, there is less flavor and less crema when
brewing, and i have to adjust the grind slightly to compensate for older
beans.  Mind you, the difference in the first two weeks after roasting
is minimal, but it is noticeable.

I usually order two pounds of coffee at a time, one pound of Black Cat
for espresso and one pound of a single origin coffee for my weekday
morning drip brewed coffee.  I only order whole bean, on the occasions
that i have had preground coffee it simply is not as flavorful.
Espresso is pretty sensitive to grind fineness and consistency, as the
beans get older, i have to use a finer grind to compensate.  Drip
brewing is not as sensitive, but the amount of "bloom" (the amount of
foaming and expansion of the ground coffee when exposed to the hot
water) varies depending on the freshness.

To answer your question:  Yes, I believe the claim that coffee is best a
few days after roasting, and i have noticed that to be true.  That said,
i would prefer coffee that was roasted yesterday to coffee that was
roasted a month ago.  For me, ordering coffee is a matter of balancing
freshness with shipping charges, ordering two pounds at a time offers
savings on shipping and the coffee is still acceptable to me when it is
a month after roasting.

I have never tried freezing my coffee, I have heard that it is
beneficial for storing beans more than a couple weeks, but I try not to
do that.

My brewing equipment is:
Rancilio Rocky Grinder
Rancilio Silvia v2 Espresso Machine with PID controller modification and
v3 steam wand upgrade.
Technivorm Moccamaster KBT-741 drip brewer
Bodum French Press
generic stovetop moka pot

     -Dan Sikorski