[geeks] Coffee survey

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Wed Apr 28 13:35:13 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 07:58:26PM +0300, gsm at mendelson.com wrote:
> I've heard that before from a TV show from Australia, but have never had
> any coffee that IMHO tasted better if you let it sit. I used to buy fresh
> roasted coffee when I lived in Philly (still warm), roasted coffee in a hot
> air popcorn maker in the late 1980's before it became popular, and still own
> a Sirocco coffee roaster, which I have not used since I moved here in 1996
> due to lack of filters.
>
> So now if you are still reading, the question. Do you think that coffee
> improves if you let it sit after roasting, and if so, for how long?

It probably depends on the kind of coffee. I would say that dark roast
'Italian' style coffee's are best drunk soon after roasting - but not
too soon mind you - they need to finish 'baking' just as a cake is
sometimes better a day or so after baking, if the beans are still warm
they do taste a little like popcorn, don't they? However, if you do
leave this type of coffee out of the freezer for more than a couple of
days a lot of the flavour is gone.

On the other hand my favourite coffee of the moment is what I would call a
'diner' type coffee, it has a smoky strong flavour rich in aromatics,
but it is also not too precious when it comes to preserving the sharp
flavour notes, it lasts a long time without losing drinkability.

Cheers,
Jonathan