[geeks] Coffee survey

gsm at mendelson.com gsm at mendelson.com
Wed Apr 28 12:41:48 CDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 01:17:09PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>With the exception of Ethiopian-style coffee ceremonially roasted right
>in front of me at the table, I've never had freshly-roasted coffee that
>I didn't consider burnt and ruined.  (Costco set up an in-warehouse
>roastery that could have competed with Charbucks.)  SO I really don't
>have anything to go by.

That's just bad coffee. If you go there again ask for a "light roast",
they may be able to accomodate you.

BTW, I've never heard of them being called Charbucks, but noticed that their
marketing ploy was poor quality beans over roasted to seem better.

I still lived in Philly at the time, and went there a few times.

They opened two stores here, one in Tel Aviv in a yuppie area, and one
in Jerusalem on the main drag in the new city.

The Jerusalem one was only open for a short while, the Tel Aviv one a
couple of years. Too many places that actually serve good coffee, at
reasonable prices to compete.

>The Ethiopian coffee, I'll grant, was very good.  But look what we're
>saying here:  The beans were ground and went into the pot while they
>were still hot from roasting.  Naturally there's going to be more
>aromatics released into the coffee.

Yes, I hope so.

>"48 hours for the CO2 to escape", though?  I call bullshit.

I agree. Thanks.

Geoff.

New word I coined 12/13/09, "Sub-Wikipedia" adj, describing knowledge or
understanding, as in he has a sub-wikipedia understanding of the situation.
i.e possessing less facts or information than can be found in the Wikipedia.