[geeks] Ergonomic keyboard styles

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Wed Apr 28 08:02:03 CDT 2010

On 4/28/2010 8:36 AM, Jonathan Groll wrote:
> I've recently begun to suffer some keyboard related RSI pain and am
> wondering if anyone on list has experience with the different styles
> of ergonomic keyboards.
> I'm basically stuck in choosing between the 'split' style ergonomic
> keyboard, like the kinesis freestyle:
> http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/freestyle.htm
>
> and the contoured type with key-wells:
> http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage.htm
>
> I suspect the contoured type is better on the fingers but more
> difficult to mouse with, whereas the split style keyboards may have
> more options with respect to using your thumbs for mousing, like this
> rollerbar:
> http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/rm-free.htm

I have a Kinesis Advantage that I've had for many years, and also used
to have a Kinesis Maxim.  I prefer the Advantage.  I find using a mouse
with it is easier than a standard keyboard since there is not a
numerical keypad to move my hand over to get to the mouse.  (Using the
kinesis pedal as a modifier, there is a keypad on the right hand keys
m,.jkluio is 1-9 and space is 0.)  That said, I am still faster on a
normal keyboard than the kinesis, but that may be partially due to the
face that I do not use it all of the time.

     -Dan