[geeks] Ergonomic keyboard styles

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Wed Apr 28 07:36:53 CDT 2010

Hi there,

I've recently begun to suffer some keyboard related RSI pain and am
wondering if anyone on list has experience with the different styles
of ergonomic keyboards.

I'm basically stuck in choosing between the 'split' style ergonomic
keyboard, like the kinesis freestyle:
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/freestyle.htm

and the contoured type with key-wells:
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/advantage.htm

I suspect the contoured type is better on the fingers but more
difficult to mouse with, whereas the split style keyboards may have
more options with respect to using your thumbs for mousing, like this
rollerbar:
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/rm-free.htm

For what it's worth, I'm suffering from tendinitis (and on my mouse
hand doubly so). I blame Emacs chording and bad $work ergonomics, but
also these small laptop mice don't do much good for the hands.

Cheers,
Jonathan

PS I'm not yet at the point where I'm considering a datahand:
http://www.datahand.com/