[geeks] IDE drive problem on U5

William Barnett-Lewis wlewisiii at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 10:44:55 CDT 2010

Thanks for the thoughts folks. The system was from another Rescue
member who needed to clear space and had been running semi-recently.
The ide bus appears to function correctly as the CDROM does boot &
probe-ide at the ok prompt does show the drives. Format will load &
claim to write a label but it doesn't change the barf mode when the
installer hits newfs. I think that, unfortunately, there is something
wrong with the drives & I'll mark them as doorstop material. Maybe one
of them to open up so my 8 year old can see what they look like on the
inside?

In the meantime, I've done some digging in a bunch of odds & ends and
found an old Hitachi Deskstar 80gb drive & and even older Seagate
Barracuda 15 gb that are, IIRC, working pulls from my last Windows PC
(Win2k - I only do Windows in VMware Fusion on my MacBook Core 2 Duo
anymore).

Thanks again,

William
--
Live like you will never die, love like you've never been hurt, dance
like no-one is watching.