[geeks] USB or Firewire webcams for Macs

Ross Lonstein ross-sunhelp at lonsteins.com
Sat Apr 24 14:32:37 CDT 2010

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 08:28:24PM -0400, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> I want to add a webcam to a desktop Mac Mini, but I'm not sure which
> third-party webcams are mac compatible...
>
> Anyone have any suggestions? I'd prefer a pretty good quality unit,
    [snip]

I have a Gear Head WC8301. I think I paid $50 a year or so ago for
it. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826623014
Worked out of the box with OSX 10.4 and 10.5 on PPC and x86 Macs and
my brother used it with his Win XP laptop (no idea). It's okay for the
purpose, better than the Microsoft VX (sorry, forgot the model) I
tried, and worked with Skype and iChat.

My wife didn't like doing video chat when I'm on business trips.
Make me an offer...

- Ross