[geeks] Need geek assistance

sammy ominsky s at avoidant.org
Sun Apr 18 01:46:30 CDT 2010

Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> With virtualization maturing on the PC and there being so many attractive
> blade offerings from various vendors, that "server" class of board will
> likely become more and more of a rarity as time progresses.  Unless you
> need a ton of dedicated memory bandwidth, there just isn't a lot of reason
> to have a bunch of power-sucking machines running 70% idle.

Blades suck a lot of power for the space they're in.  We get 2x20A per rack,
and at the price we'd pay for additional circuits, it's not possible to run a
4U blade server in the rack with anything else.  I had to quote a friend who
wanted to colo one with us $1500/month because of the power requirements.  We
run a full rack of 1- and 2U servers with modern energy requirements in that
same cabinet.