[geeks] Need geek assistance

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Sat Apr 17 23:56:13 CDT 2010

Jonathan Patschke wrote:

> With virtualization maturing on the PC and there being so many attractive
> blade offerings from various vendors, that "server" class of board will
> likely become more and more of a rarity as time progresses.  Unless you
> need a ton of dedicated memory bandwidth, there just isn't a lot of reason
> to have a bunch of power-sucking machines running 70% idle.

So you think that Servers will be workstation boards in a server case?

While I basically agree with what you say about blade and VM
efficiencies, I think that the computational needs of most companies are
too small.

My current employer could probably save with two blade chassis instead
of 40 1U machines, but half of my previous employers wouldn't save by
using blades, as well as the places many people I know work at.  After
all, blades are over kill if all you need is one or two storage servers
and 3 VMWare servers.

The majority of the machines may be bought by large companies that will
want blades, but the market of businesses who are too small is still a
tremendously large market.